The members of NWKE share the following objectives:
- To promote Kodály-based music education philosophy, structure and application
- To sponsor educator clinics and workshops
- To increase the number of music educators who both know of and implement Kodály based teaching techniques
- To improve the musical learning of children, youth and adults
- To encourage an open exchange of ideas and materials that will strengthen music programs in their area
- To work with other Kodály-oriented organizations and other music education organizations as a whole
- To apply the Kodály concept to the multi-ethnic, multi-cultural musical heritage of the Pacific Northwest being mindful of Kodály’s vision that “music belongs to everyone”
Purpose, Mission, and Vision of OAKE:
- The Organization of American Kodály Educators was founded in 1975. Its purpose is to promote Zoltán Kodály’s concept of “Music for Everyone” through the improvement of music education in schools.
- Inspired by the vision of Zoltán Kodály, the mission of the Organization of American Kodály Educators is to support music education of the highest quality, promote universal music literacy and lifelong music making, and preserve the musical heritage of the people of the United States of America through education, artistic performance, advocacy, and research.
- The vision of the Organization of American Kodály Educators is the realization of a world where the power of music as a unifying, humanizing, and healing force is an integral part of the lives of the American people.